I’ve collected a lot of makeup over the years; I think everyone has. And one thing I believe everyone can benefit from in one way or another is organizing their makeup.
There’s nothing better than searching for that perfect lipstick shade and finding it in the exact place it was supposed to be. Having all your palettes stacked together is a great way to compare shades and complete your look. Keeping old shades of foundation stashed away comes in handy when your skin tone changes in the winter and summer.
The question is, how do you organize your makeup? It might seem like a daunting task at first, especially if you have a lot of makeup. However, putting in the effort to organize everything really pays off. Below are a few ways to put the organization process in motion.
First things first, you need to separate all of your makeup into five different sections. These sections are products you use on special occasions, products you use every day, expired products or products you don’t use, duplicates, and items you might use more if they were more accessible.
Once separated, you’ll be able to look at your beauty arsenal and see which items need to stay and which need to go. From that point forward, it’s all about organizing the products you want to keep in a way that makes sense to you, which leads into my next point.
Set up your makeup space in a way that makes sense to you. For example, you might want to keep your daily makeup necessities in a makeup bag, while the rest of your makeup is stored away. If you use different items every day, sorting them by type might be a good choice. It all depends on you and what will be most convenient for your lifestyle.
Invest in an organizational system. There are endless options here! I personally have a makeup bag for everyday use, a stack of palettes in a cabinet, and about a dozen plastic boxes for different types of makeup. This setup cost me about $10–so don’t worry about price in this situation! Generally, these organizational systems can be purchased for a low price or even crafted yourself. Here are a few options:
- Trays in different sizes and colors
- Drawer dividers – If you’re limited on space and only have a drawer or two to deal with, this is the perfect way to divide your space!
- Bookends – If you want to arrange and display your palettes like books, this is a great idea!
- Hanging baskets – If you’re lacking in cabinet or drawer space, take advantage of the space you do have with hanging baskets.
- Floating shelves – Similar to the last idea, these take advantage of your space–and they look pretty cool, too.
- A makeup “toolbox” for everyday use – Something like a Caboodle could be great for storing the items you use every day.
- A magnetic board – You may have seen this idea on Pinterest or Facebook. Buy a magnetic board, glue magnets to the back of your makeup products, and voila! You have an easy way to store some of your favorite items.
- Mason jars for brushes – You don’t have to go out and buy that fancy brush holder. Keep it simple with mason jars, which you can purchase at the dollar store.
Choose a place for each type of product and stick with it. You’ll definitely thank yourself later for this one. I personally have containers for foundation, lipstick, eyeliner, eyeshadow singles, mascara, bronzer and highlighter, primer, concealer, blush, and brushes. It’s great going into the cupboard and knowing I’ll be able to find exactly what I’m looking for.
Ready to get organized? Hopefully my tips have helped! Leave me some feedback in the comment section below 🙂