We all have those days when nothing seems to be going right. You’re late for work, you spill coffee on your favorite shirt, you lose out on an important opportunity. When times like these come along, we tend to focus on the negative situation at hand rather than keeping track of what really matters. Here are a few things to keep in mind when you’re having one of those days.
- Don’t stop trying once you’ve hit a wall. Progress is progress no matter how small. Even though this quote sounds pretty cliche, it’s true. You can apply this to virtually any situation: work, school, fitness, even hobbies. Giving up won’t solve your problems, but looking back at all the progress you’ve made can inspire you to keep going. Don’t ignore or belittle the small achievements you’ve made; they add up!
- Comparison is the thief of joy. Remember that time you felt great about how you looked … until you saw someone else and thought they looked better? Or the time you busted your butt at work, only to see that your colleague’s presentation seemed much better than your own? Stop comparing, and instead, simply be proud of your own accomplishments for what they are.
- Your value doesn’t decrease based on someone else’s inability to see your worth. Just because someone doesn’t acknowledge your intelligence or capability or beauty or talent doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. It does, and you know it–they just don’t see it for one reason or another, and that’s their problem, not yours.
- Similar to that, don’t take things personally. What other people say about you is their reality, not yours. We all see the world in a slightly different way, and that’s no different when it comes to people. Their perceptions are just that–perceptions. They don’t reflect who you are in reality, so don’t let them bother you.
- You are more than the mistakes you’ve made. Ruminating about the past is something that far too many of us spend far too much time doing–and it’s pointless. It can’t change anything. What can change is you. You can grow from those mistakes and build yourself up, rather than tearing yourself down by constantly reminding yourself of your downfalls. Similarly, you learn more from failure than from success. Don’t let it stop you. Failure builds character.
- The person that you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better try to make yourself as interesting as possible. This is a reminder to stay positive and to love yourself no matter what comes your way. Many people don’t think about the fact that they themselves are the person they spend the most time with. Try to dedicate more time to hobbies and interests, things that you actually care about. Make yourself into a person you would want to be friends with.
- And finally, people often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily.
Hopefully this dose of positivity has given you some motivation for today! Let me know how you stay positive and share your favorite positivity quotes in the comments below!